This is my first GoPro Summer tip for getting the most out of your GoPro.
I have some good news and bad news about doing these.
First the bad news
You need to buy a dome to get them to work with any consistency. The lens on the gopro is so small, to line it up half under and half above the water just isn’t going to happen easily.
Now the good news
- Domes are cheap, I got the Polar Pro dome for $79 from Digi-Direct , quality seems good, I’m very happy with it.
- Once the dome is on, shooting is really easy, just lines up the domes half way points and press the shutter button.
- The best news is, the shots look awesome!
A Few tips
- Make sure the water is calm, although I’m going to try in some surf later this summer.
- Shoot with the sun behind you, the light refracts and reflects pretty significantly under the water, so you can quickly lose a few stops (see note) of light in the underwater portion.
What is a ‘stop’
Photographers constantly refer to ‘stops of light’. Basically if you reduce your exposure by 1 stop this means you are letting in half the light.